Monday, August 4, 2008

Bye Bye India

75 days came and 75 days went, so today it is now time to head back home.  What does my travel itinerary look like you ask?  A 2 hour flight from Kolkata to Delhi followed by a 5 hour layover followed by a 15.5 hour flight to Chicago followed by a 2 hour layover followed by a 2.5 hour flight to Philly followed by a 5 hour "layover" followed by a 4.5 hour bus ride to State College - it should be a good time...

My service finished very strong at the Loreto Day School, and in the end I was actually very sad to have to leave the students and staff.  Don't get me wrong I can't wait to be back home, but I really became invested in the school and the people during my eleven weeks here.  Plus, I feel like I did some good things for the students over the past few weeks so part of me wishes I could stay here longer to try to do even more.  Sustainability was a big goal of mine, though - I just hope my efforts in that area will end up being successful.

This will be my last post on this blog, but before I sign off I just wanted to do one more shameless plug.  This fall I will be working with the US Public Service Academy in Washington, DC to try to pass legislation that would establish a national school for public service similar to the existing military academies.  I am very much looking forward to jumping right into this project, and I encourage anyone who reads this to learn more about it and pass this web address along to anyone else who might be interested:

http://uspublicserviceacademy.org/

If you support the initiative please consider signing the online petition and calling your Senator and Congressperson to ask them to support it.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Jay- Great job on the blog. Looks like you had a great experience and I think you captured it very well on the website. Safe travels, and give me a shout when you arrive in DC.

Tess said...

Hope you're having a safe trip!