Yesterday was not a great day for me. It involved two hours in a taxi to and from the airport (the traffic and heat/humidity were both astounding, but it was very nice to see my classmate Erin), a power outage in the afternoon that raised the heat/humidity bar even higher (I was literally dripping with sweat while home in the afternoon), and the woman that I will supposedly be working closest with for my project did not come into the school for the 4th straight day, leaving my project extremely up in the air. On top of all of that my sleep schedule had yet to improve so I woke up at around 2:30am again, having slept for less that four hours for the 4th straight night. Overall, it was a bit of a rough day.
I'm happy to report that today has been much better though. I wish I could say that the temperature has cooled down, but in actuality it is even a little hotter. I believe the heat is much easier to take after a good night's sleep, though, which is what I got last night for the first time in India - I am hopeful that it is the first of many.
Today I helped the school finish some reports in the morning and then tutored two students just before lunch. This is the 4th straight day that I have been working with these students, and I feel like I am starting to earn their trust. We read a play in English today and I even had them reading in character and emphatically acting out a few parts. I think they are still a little unsure of what to make of me, but one of them came up to me afterwards and told me that her older sister (who was one of the first Rainbows in the early 90's and is now in her 1st year of college) wanted to know if I could tutor her in English as well - I'm hopeful that means the students think my assistance has been at least a little helpful so far.
Finally, a silver lining to my lack of sleep has been that I have been doing a lot of reading - it is amazing how much you can read from 2:30-7:00am when there is nothing else to do. If anyone is looking for a good book to read I highly recommend "Three Cups of Tea" (you can learn more at www.threecupsoftea.com). It is about an American who sets up girls schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan - a very interesting and inspiring story. Thanks to my friend Sara Pugh for introducing it to me.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that it is THAT hot over there. I hope you and Erin are having a good time though. Are you planning to go anywhere over the weekend?
Three Cups of Tea was great!
Sorry things are so hot. Hope the lady you're working with shows up soon.
P.S. I mentioned you by name in my blog today. ;)
Post a Comment