Friday, May 30, 2008

Small world

I braved the heat this morning and walked about 20 minutes to the nearest indoor market (just like a supermarket, only 1/5 the size).  When I got to the cash register I was extremely surprised to find the cashier wearing a Penn State t-shirt.  Needless to say I was very excited, and I'm sure my excitement coupled with the language barrier made for an initially awkward situation.  I was wearing my PSU golfing hat, though, so when I explained to him that I grew up in State College and that my parents taught there he seemed to understand, and told me that his brother is currently a student at PSU.

4 comments:

Lukman Arsalan said...

Hahaha! That's actually so random and funny. People in Jordan would wear T-shirts that say: Chicago Bulls or Mets and have no clue what they mean. Probably your cashier friend was like that too, but went like: "ooohh, a foriegner, may be I should just tell him yes" ;) (just kidding)
You should get an 'action' shot Jay. Go and pretend you're playing with the kids and send it to Ben - you'll then be a poster kid of Clinton School website :)

Keep the posts coming, I enjoy reading them.

Elizabeth said...

It is amazing how seeing something that reminds you of home can be so exciting when you are abroad! I once ran into a friend from one of my college classes on the Underground in London so my next guess is that you meet someone who used to go to the same dentist as you when you were a kid. I'll place my bet at five bucks.

Sara said...

You crack me up. The real question is, how'd he do on his NCAA brackets this year? I miss you!

Jules West said...

That's like Sanford seeing an Auburn shirt in Capetown...which he did! Good luck staying hydrated. It's a bit cooler here in Gangsta Nepal but not much!