Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Miscellaneous

Nothing too incredibly exciting to report, but I'm afraid if I don't post every now and then people will stop checking my site...

On Saturday my housemates (3 girls from Ireland, 1 guy from the US, and my classmate Erin) and I decided to go out for a non-Indian dinner (which my stomach very much appreciated) in the touristy part of Kolkata - there aren't really any good places to go out near where we live, and the area itself is not extremely safe at night.  I ordered the chicken tenders with french fries and a side of naan (I love naan but unfortunately it is only available in the nicer restaurants, and I mainly buy from street vendors), and also a few Indian beers.  A cold beer on a hot day is a truly great thing, and we have had more than our fair share of hot days over the past two weeks, so it felt great to indulge a little.  We went out to a bar afterwards as well, and it just felt good to get back to "normal" for a night.

Even though it appears that my main project for the summer won't be getting under way until at least mid-June (if any of you see a Mrs. Paul that works at the Loreto Day School in Kolkata please let her know that I am looking for her), I have still been keeping myself busy by tutoring the older girls in English.  Teaching English as a 2nd language can be very challenging at times, but I have really been enjoying myself.  Several of the pieces that the girls are reading and analyzing would be difficult for even English-speaking American high schoool students, so it has been fun to both challenge and support them through the process.  Below is one example of a poem I recently worked with them on:

Where The Mind Is Without Fear, by Rabindranath Tagore

Where the mind is without fear and
the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken
up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost
its way into the dreary desert of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into everwidening thought and action -
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

I love the "clear stream of reason...dreary desert of dead habit" line, but it was certainly a challenge to explain to my students - an enjoyable challenge, though, and they seemed to have a good time watching me try.  Tagore is a famous author from West Bengal (he won the Nobel Prize for Literature in the early 1900's), and I recently bought a book of his short stories - I'm still not sleeping incredibly well, but like I said, I'm reading more than I ever have...

2 comments:

Lukman Arsalan said...

It's good that you got to do something that is similar to home.. I'm glad that Erin is there to keep you company as well.

Jay, you are a very independent smart person, I doubt if you would have any trouble filling up your time until your project is set.

I start orientation tomorrow, and hopefully tomorrow I will be assigned a specific post at the CGI.

Take Care Jay. Say hello to Erin.

DEProf said...

Jay: After all the strategies I tried to get you to read more as a kid, now I find out that all I had to do was send you to India. Live and learn.

Your mom.