Thursday, June 5, 2008

Strike update

a few quick updates:

- Apparently the strike in Kolkata is in response to a recently announced 11% increase in fuel prices in India.  I've mentioned this to several people now, but I just can't understand how many people here are able to afford gas at all, with the average price in Delhi now being over $4.50/gallon.  Just to give some context, I took a 30 minute taxi ride yesterday that cost me a little less than $2.50.  The profit margins in that example must be non existant, and I would think they would actually be losing money.
- Also, the strike will only last from 6am-6pm each day (which is why I'm able to get to a computer now).  This was nice to find out today because I am a little hungry right now and don't have much in my flat to eat, so now I'll be able to hit up a little Chinese food stand on my block for dinner.
- It was wild to walk around the city today with the streets pretty much deserted.  There were a handful of soccer and cricket games being played in the middle of streets, even main streets.  The only vehicles out during the day were ambulances, police cars, and a small number of rogue taxis.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet if you played in the 2002 season Cricket national championship game, you'd have mediocre stats but make a big play on a googly late and get a sticky wicket for victory.

Linds said...

Hey Jay. I hope India is treating you well. Is it still so hot? It is significantly cooler here, I'm sure. I actually feel like I should have brought more warm clothes. Anway, hope the strike ends soon. Take care.